These bars are tasty and healthy! The are also gluten free, dairy free, and egg free, so a nice option for people on certain special diets. Make them ahead of time and freeze in individual portions for an easy and healthy on the go snack/meal.
What you'll need:
- 2/3 cup (when dry) quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup raw almonds (or other nut of choice) chopped
- 8 ounce package of pitted dates (they can be chopped or whole, but make certain they're moist and squishy feeling, dried out won't work)
- 2/3 cup of almond butter (can substitute peanut or other nut butter of choice)
- 2 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons honey (preferably raw and local)
What you'll do:
Take you previously cooked and cooled quinoa and put it in a large mixing bowl. Add your nuts and nut butter.
In a food processor, chop the dates until they are completely chopped and starting to stick together again in little balls. Add this to the other ingredients in your bowl. Mix it all together thoroughly, I find it best to use my hands to get it mixed up well. Next put the mixture into a 13 X9" pan spreading it all over evenly.
Now in a saucepan or double boiler melt your chocolate. After its melted, stir in honey. Spread this chocolate over the top of the mixture in the pan.
That's it! Refrigerate, slice into bars and you're ready to eat!